Global Service Learners Logo

Global Service Learners Logo

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Final Week

The last week is a blur (as I write this from home, ten days after returning). Some of the students were already speaking of home, and their first meals. The kids attending the volunteer sessions drops off to 15 or so. But my participants step up and really come up with some great lesson plans. Emily does weather and ironically, it storms the hardest since we’ve been there. The rain came down so hard, the kids couldn’t hear her. Sad to, because she planned a lot of music inspired lessons. Instead they drew scenes with weather and it all worked out.




On  Tuesday, Claudia and I go horseback riding in the hills north of Samara. We go with Augustine, the handyman for the school. It’s a two and half hour jaunt through the jungle. We climb high above Left Beach, and while we get off the horses to take pictures, one saunters away. We ride down to Playa Buene Vista. On the road back, a troop of howler monkeys are in the trees above us. Some are babies. We stop to take pictures and one almost pisses on Claudia. On our way back to the school, we stop at Pablitos a locals bar on the beach. With every drink one gets a boca, a small bowl of stew. Claudia and I order soda as we still have volunteer work.


Stephanie had “family” as a theme, and she planned an elaborate lesson with family trees and hand drawn pictures.  Of course, when we arrived to the community center, there was a big meeting taking place. So we moved it outside. And she knocks it out of the park.



That night we have a bon fire on the beach. Some of the other students come, but it is drizzly and many don’t stay long.


Wed morning I take Jon, Viv and Z to Playa Buena Vista. It is overcast, and I am not into it. I spend a lot of Wednesday tracking down ice cream for Thursday’s farewell party. We know the community center isn’t available, there is a big meeting to talk about making the island a national refuge. So Alex plans sport activities for the kids.




On Thursday, I go fishing with Chevy, Spaniard from Barcelona who now lives in Samara and owns the Organic Center, a plaza with a bunch of New-Agey stores: organic markets, yoga, etc. We are joined by Klaus, a German staying with Wolfgang. We spend four hours on the water and do not catch a thing. Chevy picks up the tab. I spend the rest of the day getting supplies for the party.




We host an ice cream social for the 20 or so kids who show. They are excited. I say a few words. It’s hard to image that the three weeks have gone by so quickly.

Friday I am awakened to Jon and Claudia on my porch. They wanted to see the sunrise, but it was cloudy. They had checked out of their home stay under shady circumstances. I let them sleep in and run some errands. The rest of the day is spent packing. At this point, I am looking forward to home. The humidity and the bugs are starting to get to me. Jon, Claudia, and I go to lunch at La Vela Latina.  The participants have graduation at one and we are late arriving. After I go to the beach for one last swim. I sit at Gusto and drink beer. It is Friday the 13th(my grandfather’s birthday). We just have the last dinner and then the bus ride at midnight.

The last dinner is nice. El Lagarto is one of the nicest places in Samara, known for its steak and seafood grilled over wood. Lindsay, Johanna, and Andrea join us. After, we go to Arriba for one last drink. I sneak out early in hopes to get some sleep before midnight, but that never happens.


Everyone is at the school when I arrive around 11:30. The ride to the airport is quiet. The ride goes quickly. In the airport there is some last minute juggling by some because of overweight luggage.

The flight is not as quick as the bus ride. I bobble head while watching a movie, The Grand Budapest Hotel. I sleep through enough of it that I switch to a Jack Ryan movie. It holds my attention better.

Once we land, everyone scatters. Claudia and I are the last ones. Her family drops me off. I finally breathe. We made it back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment