Global Service Learners Logo

Global Service Learners Logo

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

First Day

The students have to be at the school by 7:15 the first morning, so the teachers can interview them to place them in the appropriate class. I like to be there when they arrive to see how everyone is doing. This group seemed alright. They looked a bit tired, but seemed happy, if not a bit nervous of where they were to be placed. I asked the school to break the group into two where some would have class on MW morning and TTH afternoon. The other group would have the opposite schedule. This was it would be easy for our volunteer work. However, we have three native Spanish speakers and that threw a wrench in the mix, so we ended up with six and three. That meant, the three had class that morning so they would be volunteering with us that afternoon. The next day, the six who didn’t have class would join us on Tusedays and Thursdays. It’s a bit complicated but the school wants everyone to have a couple of morning free when the weather is usually nicer. They also don’t have enough space-there’s about forty students total at the school- to handle all of the crowds in the morning since classes are no larger than six students.
At ten, Claudia, Jon, and I met with Johanna one of the two girls who run CREAR the non-profit which runs the after school program we were volunteering with. She was excited about the shoes, but she also spoke out loud how she might want to save some pairs for their semi-regular yard sale to raise money for CREAR and its programs. This didn’t sit well with Claudia, so later I had to try to smooth things out.

The rest of the morning and the afternoon before the volunteer work was spent running around. The first thing I needed to do was rent a bike. $25 a week. Bright blue. It really makes getting around easier. I also need some groceries. I do envy the students who stay with local families because they get two of their meals a day. It makes things easy, and I am told the food is good. Instead, I go to the local grocery store which, sadly, is owned by Walmart. (Hypocrite alert-I’m sanctimonious when it comes to Walmart but not Costco or Target.) I buy some of the essentials like water, milk, bread, cereal, bananas, ham, lettuce, and tomato. Everything I buy I have to carry back home, so I am limited.

In between trips I stop by the beach and swim. It really helps one cool down.

Around four Claudia, Jon and I meet to go over once more what we are going to do that morning. Our expectations are low as Johanna thinks if we get ten students this afternoon, it will be a good day.

Our English classes, which CREAR has been advertising for a couple weeks now via email, Twitter, posters and word of mouth, take place in the community center, next to the soccer field. When we arrive there are a couple kids waiting for us. We end up with six total and a few younger one straggle in at the end.
The kids do a great job of going over introduction phrases. We pass out notebooks, and have them write out their names on index cards which we punch holes in and run string through for name cards. Johanna and I venture outside to try to catch and young passer-bys. It starts to rain, even though the sun is out. The rain further dampens my spirits as I know few will venture out. However, a rainbow appears and the kids come outside to see it. Maybe it’s a sign. Inside, they play an obstacle course where the kids have to run through and under and over chairs, desks, and benches to get to a table where they have to translate something into English then run back and then next person comes.
At the end we hand out candy, and remind them to come again tomorrow and to bring friends.

After, Claudia, Jon and I go back to my house to talk about the program and to brainstorm ideas for what to do in the next few weeks. They end up staying for a couple of hours telling stories and laughing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment