Global Service Learners Logo

Global Service Learners Logo

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Halfway

Today is our tenth day and the halfway point of the program. Everyone seems to be comfortable here in Antigua. We've had one personality conflict but it was a minor flare up and expected even with such a small group. It was quickly rectified by switching teams for the teaching. We'll see how it goes when we travel together this weekend to Tikal. I'm also expecting some issues wi the hotel, well really hostel where we ad staying. I don't think it will be as nice as the one in San Pedro.
This morning I told Gladys and Mildred (the house "moms") I would not be there for lunch, so after classes I went to get my haircut and to get a shave. All for about six bucks. Afterwards I went to the super mercado to buy some candy for the children for participating in our scavenger hunt. I had lunch as a restaurant called Rincon Tipico which I think means Typical Corner. The food was fresh and delicious- sausage cucumber and tomato and onion salad, potato salad, and warm, fresh tortillas for $2.50. I couldn't finish it all.
At the project we had a scavenger hunt. They had to pick up items of trash like paper, plastic, metal and glass and had to use the numbers and colors they have learned. We had five teams of 8-10. It was a madhouse. I bought chocolate for the winners and gave the others some lollipops etc. it was a success as we picked up five bags of trash- at least i thought it was a success until i saw the children drop the wrappers from the candy right on the ground. I guess we didn't meet that Learning objective. afterwards we played football and jumped rope. I also brought a game called Pears like bananas with letters to make words and Kaleigh and Nick worked with some kids.
Afterward, Kaleigh wanted to get a book at Cafe No Se (Cafe I don't know). She wanted some suggestions. We picked out The Black Pearl for her. The gentleman working there was quite a character. His name is Peter Kilbryde,and he had a book of poetry to sell. He read it in his Irish brogue and gap toothed mouth, and when he read the hairs on my neck stood. The book catalogues his times on the pilgrimage of Camino Santiago in Spain. I am looking forward to reading it tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment