Global Service Learners Logo

Global Service Learners Logo

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Dia tipico

II've got a good schedule. I'm usually up at sunrise around 6. There are curtains on my windows but there aren't neighbors and its jungle outside my bedroom window so why keep them closed? I've been going to the beach first thing. It's been low tide and good for walking. I come back for breakfast. Fruit. Cereal. Tea or juice. 
I try to write for a while. Study some Spanish- I brought a book. I head to the school around ten. The morning classes have break and I can check in to make sure everyone is ok. Our first volunteer session begins at 1030. The morning session is in town at the community center near the football field. It's a great space, a 40' x 50' hall with much needed fans. The count of children who show up changes daily, usually increasingly as the word gets out about what we're doing. We finish at eleven thirty when the children start school because they do not have enough teachers or classrooms to go the whole day. 
After I go for a swim and then home for a sandwich, some rest in the hammock. Our next volunteer session is at two but we have to drive there so it takes ten minutes. But with Tico time (the nickname for Costa Ricans and their inability to keep a appointments on time) who knows how long? 
After its time for an other swim. Sometimes I might take class: cooking for instance. After its happy hour, either La Vela Latina or back at the house. 
I usually have dinner out. Home by eight or nine. Ready to start it again. It's a good life. I'm relaxed even though I'm with 15 eighteen to twenty five year olds. They're a good group so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment