Global Service Learners Logo

Global Service Learners Logo

Friday, August 16, 2013

Simplify, simplify, simplify

After speaking with the participants, I get the sense they are starting to understand the appeal of "Pura Vida" pure life. They see their Tico families lifestyle. The Tico families don't have much in terms of material possessions, but the students see their happiness, the lack of stress. It is a lesson I have to continually remind myself (said the person who brought an IPhone, IPad, and laptop). They talk about it among themselves and in their Spanish classes. They see the kids we work with who don't have the playstations or the xboxes, but are happy.
However, after speaking with many of the locals, they know this is probably going to change. I was speaking with Eric, the local sushi chef who I have known since I first came here in 2009. He would like to open a Thai restaurant. We joked about how it is only a matter of time before a Burger King opens or a Taco Bell. One day I will return and there will a traffic light, the next, a gas station (the closest is about 4km away up the hill).
These changes are all related to the US economy. When our economy booms, here booms too. And, as the saying goes, if our economy gets the sniffles, the economy of countries like Costa Rica gets the flu. So things progress until the money stops. Then there is a backslide, then things pick up again.
It is like the tides, I guess, adding to the beach and then taking away.
I hope change takes its time and leaves this place simple as long as it can.

No comments:

Post a Comment