Global Service Learners Logo

Global Service Learners Logo

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Washout

The rain started Monday night and didn't let up until Tuesday around noon. The thunder and lightening storm Monday night/Tuesday morning was the worst by far. It was hard to sleep. By the time I got to school Tuesday morning, I was walking in shin high water through the roads. We were all surprised to see three students at the community center at 10:30. It just shows how much these kids look forward to what we are doing. Andrea came by soon after and we decided to call off the afternoon session. Of course, by noon the rain had stopped and the sun was out. Today is bright sun and blue skies. It's hot again; I am already sweating buckets.
My students were happy for the break. I wasn't sad either. I've been fighting a cold since my food poisoning, so I settled into the hammock for a much needed nap. Today I feel much better.
Tomorrow is Mother's Day (it's also the Catholic Assumption- so surprise), so we are going make bilingual cards in our groups today. Because of the holiday, Thursday we won't have the volunteer work and Friday the school is closed. Friday we drive to Rincon de la Vieja for the weekend for zip lining, horseback riding, and R&R.
I'll leave you with a self portrait of Roy. He's about 4. His father died last year. His mom was pregnant with their fourth when it happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment