Global Service Learners Logo

Global Service Learners Logo

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Friday was not a good day

So I was up all night with diarrhea. It's kind of expected when I travel to these places. I felt pretty lousy and wasn't looking forward to a five hour bus ride to Fortuna, near volcano Arenal. I brought some Immodium with me for such instances. But as I walked to school to meet the group, I started throwing up and progressively felt shittier and shittier. When I got to the school, bad news awaited me. Alex and Briseida, on their way home from the bars last night, got mugged. Three guys in a car/truck stopped them. They forced Alex to the ground. Briseida ran, but one of the guys grabbed her purse. Physically, they were both fine. Briseida is pretty tough. Sadly, they lost some money and Briseida lost her cell phone and some of her id cards, etc. They filed a report with the police and the people at the school were very concerned. They had a sense of who it might be, but there is little to be done. Some of the other girls were freaked out and one said she was thinking of going home.
Meanwhile, my health is going downhill. I go to the pharmacy and get some antibiotics and some electrolytes. I can't keep anything in my system. I talked with Lindsay our fix it girl at the school and tell her I can't sit on a bus for five hours in this condition. She tries to get someone else to go in my place. We have a guide and a driver, so even if they can't the group will be fine.
I make it back to my apartment and crawl into bed where I stay for the next 20 or so hours. I force myself to hydrate but there is always and opposite reaction when I do.
I woke up this morning, Saturday, feeling much better. I ate some toast and a little mango. So far so good. I took a walk on the beach and a swim. I'm not sure what I'll do today.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, what did you think of the play? Well, this is a pretty easy group. We haven't had drama before the mugging. The students are settling in nicely. The weather has been great Sunshine most mornings and rain at night. Some of the rainstorms are pretty intense. A lot of thunder and lightening last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment