Global Service Learners Logo

Global Service Learners Logo

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Feliz Día de las madres!

It's no coincidence the Costa Rican Mother's Day falls on the same day as the Assumption, the Catholic holiday which celebrates Mary's ascension into heaven. Although there is seperation of church and state on paper, this is still a Catholic country. Laura told me at the school that the government is very strict about the holiday and she needed everyone who works there permission to take the Friday off instead of today.

I, however, have the day off as there is no volunteer work. So I am traveling with students by bikes to another beach, Playa Carillo, three miles south of here.

On my beach walk this morning, there weren't the usually crowds of workers along the road. The beach too was quieter. After, I rode my bike to Cangrejal to the "german" bakery for an apple strudel. It was nice to see the small village come to life. From the table out front of the store, I could see the pasture where horses and cattle grazed and beyond that the sea, framed by palm trees. The sun was shining, and there were some large, white  fluffy clouds at the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment