Global Service Learners Logo

Global Service Learners Logo

Monday, June 8, 2015

Day Three

Took half the group to Carillo Beach. It's 7 kilometers south. We all had rented bikes; it isn't a bad ride on a windy road through the country side with only one hill big enough that we had to dismount and walk. We pass through El Torito a small, impoverished village of fisherman where CREAR offers programs. 
It was partly cloudy which was nice because I got burned pretty good. The girls did alright. We stopped when we heard howler monkeys in the trees above us. But they were far from the road. 
Carillo is one of the nicest, undeveloped beaches I've ever seen. 
We swam, I read a bit. I was a bit pissed because one girl was in the water with us who obviously couldn't swim. She slapped at the water after every wave, making me very nervous. I told her so. She had wanted to kayak with the group but I sternly suggested otherwise. What is she thinking? What pisses me off even more is that she took a surf lesson yesterday. Of course it would be my fault if something happened to her?
Ate lunch at a new restaurant near my apartment called the flying taco. Owned by a young guy from Florida. They had an amazing salsa from mango, coconut, and ginger. It was blended smooth. 
After I took a siesta Latin American style and started reading essays from Paul Theroux. They are throw always from some of his books that didn't make the cut. I like what I've read. After I went to the school and read in the hammocks there. The palm trees swaying above me, thunder in the distance. It was a peaceful moment even with the threatening storm. 
Today was the first time a student led the volunteer work. Jocelyn did a great job teaching the kids about community workers. Firemen, policemen, nurses, etc. 
now I'm in Los Olas (the waves) having a beer before I teach English to Rachel, Nidia, and Rebecca. It's an hour class. On Monday it lasted for an hour and a half. 

No comments:

Post a Comment