Global Service Learners Logo

Global Service Learners Logo

Monday, June 8, 2015

Lo Que Hay-It is what it is.

Friday

Break of day on the beach running three then thirty push-ups, running three, then forty v-ups, running three, then fifty squats. 

Travel is strange. We go to a special place. With rituals and ceremonies. We wait. We get locked into a metal tube. When released, it's a different time. A different place. 

Breakfast at Sherifs. Eggs, corn tortilla, rice and beans mixed together (gallo pinto), bacon. I read a great essay by Theroux visiting Borges in Buenes Aires. The clouds gathered at the horizon like frigates with large white spinnakers. 

Next the hardware store. I hacked my airbnb.  Talked Kim into installing hooks for a hammock. Four bucks. Installed them and hung my laundry to dry. I'll buy a hammock this weekend. 

Next I bought some primer for the chalkboard we are making for CREAR. I brought down a quart of chalkboard paint (turns out they sell it down here unbeknownst to Andrea). The asshole at the first store tried to sell me some crap they couldn't sell. Red or gray oil based crap. I went across the street. There was still some confusion. I thought I was buying latex but it ended being oil based. Anyway got a coat on a four by eight sheet of plywood that we'll make into a chalkboard with the paint I brought down. Andrea and I talked about her moving in with her boyfriend. It was great to hang with her. 

After had lunch at a place inside the "hippy organic compound". A grilled wrap. Two retired couples were comparing notes about the keys in Florida. 

Then back to the school for the horseback riding. 
Augustine who works as a maintenance man at the school along with his two daughters who teach there led the horse back tour along with Orlando. We took the beach to the north end to the road in canagrajal. We made a left past the green iguana store up into the hills. And climbed. Some of the horses did not get along and the girls shrieked when the cabellos fought. At the top we dismounted and took photos. We road down the other side to playa Buena vista. We finished our ride at pablitos a beach front local bar that serves cups of stew with every beer. How many times will these girls pull up to a bar on a horse? 








That night I ate at Lo Que Hay http://isamara.co/loqhay.htm and crashed early. It was a long day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment