Global Service Learners Logo

Global Service Learners Logo

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Rainy Day

The rains from the night carried on throughout the morning, although not as hard with periodic breaks. So I spent a lazy morning in and out of the hammock. When the rain stopped I went to a bakery for a ham and cheese croissant and stopped by the grocery for supplies. But then it was back in the hammock. I am enjoy the book by Theroux as well as McCullough's Wright Brothers. I also surfed the web, etc.

Just before noon, feeling like a sloth, I decided to get some exercise down at the beach, doing my normal routine. After lunch of a ham sandwhich, I went to CREAR to help set up the activities for the day. The parents/kids are so excited that they are coming earlier and earlier.

For some reason, the kids were super hyper. Poor Fi had to deal with their energy while she taught them parts of the body. Heads, shoulders, knees and toes. Drawing chalk outlines on the ground. Their energy level just kept increasing. It eventually devolved to this:

Finally I kicked a soccer ball into the field and let them run.

That evening we had a guest speaker come. Alonso Munoz Solis, a Costa Rican author of South of the Memories. An engineer turned writer/activist, he is concerned about the Nicaraguan population and the environment, especially concerning the use of plastics. He spoke for an hour or so about both topics. I think the girls really learned something. He challenged them to a 30 day fast of single use plastic (bags, bottles, straws, etc). But when we got home as it would be very difficult when traveling.
After we had dinner cooked by a local woman. It had a Chinese influence. It was really good. Laura, Lindsay, Alonso, his girlfriend and I talked about books and writing. It was a nice evening.






No comments:

Post a Comment