Global Service Learners Logo

Global Service Learners Logo

Friday, June 5, 2015

Tommy Two Times

Because of the Spanish class schedule, I have to do some things two times. Going to Playa Carillo for instance.

Playa Carillo is a 7 kilometer ride south, past the town of Samara, through El Torito and past some lush, green jungles. At the curve before the narrow bridge where only one car can pass, a troop of monkeys were hanging out in a mango tree.

This time we were lucky to see a crocodile in the estuary at the south end of the beach, although it was far away. (on the ride back we saw one next to the road in another estuary, but it disappeared too quickly and we couldn't get to our cameras quickly enough.

The girls took some great photos of the waves breaking behind them, causing a white backdrop of foam.

Here are the interns for CREAR. Quinn, Kara Nevil, (IDK), and John. Quinn, Kara, and John are from Florida State while Nevil just graduated from Long Island University. She's from the New York via the Dominican Republic.









The volunteer went well. The numbers are increasing. I let the little ones play with my phone's camera.

















We had another, older group from El Torito show up, so I took over, found some sight word flash cards and went over them with the kids. They are incredibly eager to learn. I try to make it as fun as possible. They made their own flashcards and test each other. Liz had made a word find worksheet that was too difficult for the little ones so we set the older kids up with it. They really got into it.





 After the volunteer project, I took the girls to Tabanuco for a beverage. Most of them ordered fruit juice.












At night I ate at MamaGui which is right across the road from my house. Great Pizza. After I went to Arriba and watched some of the NBA Finals.

It was an early night, and I am finally feeling like we are in a routine and I can breathe.
It's been a good group so far. They mostly stay home at night which takes out some of the drama. One girl had some stomach issues, but she seems like she is doing ok. She is on antibiotics. Other than that, these girls seem to be settling in.

Me? I am getting more Tico every time I come here.

No comments:

Post a Comment