Global Service Learners Logo

Global Service Learners Logo

Thursday, June 4, 2015

First Day


This guy was my first visitor of the morning. He had to inspect the apartment.

The first day went smoothly, albeit hectic. I met the students at the school at 7:30 to make sure everyone was settled in. There's one who has the fifty yard stare as if she is ready to burst in tear.
I think she'll do alright.

Next I met with Lindday the group coordinator to map out the events for the trip. Since this is our third program together, it goes easily.

Next I go to CREAR to meet with Andrea, a super sweet Texan down here for five years. She and I work well together. We catch up, and plan for the volunteer part of the program. She had four interns this summer, and I get to meet some of them.

I head back to school and jump in the water. It's probably about ninety, with similar humidity.

For lunch I head home and make myself a sandwich.
The volunteer work goes well; after we go to Tabanuco, a restaurant on the beach next to the school to talk about the afternoon's activities.
Because of the Spanish classes, I have two groups. This group are the beginning Spanish learners, which makes the volunteer work difficult. But CREAR's interns really help out as they are fluent in Spanish.
Tomorrow's group are the native Spanish speakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment